A lot of couples nowadays live together before getting married. Therefore, they may not need the "traditional" gifts such as silverware, china, linens, etc. The couple may be living in a house that needs repairs or even just a coat of paint. So they may opt to register at a hardware store instead of a major department store. Perhaps you just moved into a brand new house and spent all your money on the furnishes and accessories, now you have no money for your honeymoon. If this is the case, you can register for your honeymoon!
Another option for today's couples is to register online. How convenient is that? You don't even have to leave your house! There are many web sites out there that offer gift registry. For instance, Filene's allows you to register for anything in the store (from china to small appliances). Registering online is convenient for your guests too. They can see what you're registered for and shop right there online!
Before you register in any store or on any web site, here are a few tips:
- You should find out how they keep track of their registry. Usually the store will use a computer database. This will keep a record of what gifts were actually purchased. This makes it easier on your guests too. They can see what has been purchased and what still needs to be purchased. Etiquette states that a guest has up to a year after the wedding to purchase a gift for the couple. Therefore, you may ask how long they will keep your registry list.
- Check to see the policy on refunds and exchanges. Because you have registered, duplicates may not be the problem, however, you may just change your mind on a certain gift. You want to make sure that exchanging or even getting a refund will not be a hassle.
- Ask if they can arrange for your gifts to be shipped directly to a certain address. This will allow your guests to ship the gifts directly without having to go to the post office.
- You may have a lot of guests coming from a long distance. If this is the case, you should ask if the store will be able to fax your list to your guests so they can use their credit cards to make any purchases over the phone. So when registering at a department store, keep the geographical location of the store in mind.
- Be sure to pick a variety of price ranges for your guests to choose from. Don't worry about registering for something that may be a bit pricey. You may have a group of guests that want to purchase one large gift.